Before I get started, I'm linking up with the Friday Five link up hosted by Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run. Be sure to show them some love!
Just to tell you a little bit about Freshly, they're based in New York City but prepare and ship their meals from a facility in Phoenix, AZ. They currently serve states in the West and Southwest, as well as some Mid-western states (you can see where they serve here). But, they're in the process of building another facility in New Jersey, which will expand their service area tremendously!
Without any further ado, here are the 5 reasons you should try Freshly:
1. All meals are prepared and shipped directly to your door and you don't have to be present to receive them. You'll get notified when your meals are on their way so you can be sure you'll be home at some point to put them in the fridge. It's really a simple process.
2. Freshly offers different meal plans based on how many prepared meals you want per week. You can get as few as 6 meals per week or as many as 21 meals per week. The meals from the larger meal plans will arrive in 2 shipments to make sure your meals are fresh when they arrive.
3. According to Freshly's diet philosophy on their website, their meals are all-natural and gluten-free with a focus on high-quality protein, healthy fats, nutrient-dense vegetables and no artificial sweeteners. These meals are good and good for you!
4. They offer breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The meals are single-serve, which are perfect for making sure you a healthy breakfast when crunched for time, bringing a healthy lunch with you to work or providing you with a healthy dinner when you don't feel like cooking. I opted for all lunch/dinners so my whole family could try each of the meals. We ate our meals somewhat family-style where we could all try some of each meal. This way I got lots of opinions on each meal :) Here are the meals I received:
- Chicken Livorno with White Beans and Kale
- Lebanese Style Meatballs with Sautéed Spinach and Chickpeas
- Beef Provencal with Polenta and Roasted Vegetables
- Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Potato Hash and Creamed Spinach
- Sicilian Style Chicken Parmigiana with Penne Marinara
- Chicken Rustica with Roasted Cauliflower
My husband loved the Lebanese meatballs and when I asked if I could have some, he actually got mad at me!
The Chicken Rustica was good but it has mushrooms, which I don't love and only eat because they're good for me. I did love the side of roasted cauliflower. It was seasoned really well.
If I had to pick one item I didn't completely love, it was the creamed spinach that accompanied the Grilled Flat Iron Steak. I just didn't like the seasoning but I still ate it :) The steak and potato hash were really great. The steak was cooked perfectly at a medium-well and very tender.
|Grilled Flat Iron Steak|
5. As mentioned above, all the meals come completely prepared. All you do is heat your meal for 2 minutes in the microwave and eat it. And, while you're waiting, the inside of the package has "Nutrition for the Mind" to read. There are stories and info for you to read while waiting for your yummy food to cook.
If you've been looking for a way to meet your nutrition goals but don't have the time and don't want to be be cooking all weekend, check out Freshly. Their meals are healthy, affordable and won't require a ton of hands-on time. Unless you count the time it takes for you to savor every bite ;)
Have you tried a prepared meal service? What are your thoughts?
*Freshly provided a package of meals for me to try and photos to use here in the blog but all opinions and experiences are my own.