Vegan Banana Walnut Doughnuts
(makes 11 doughnuts)1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup (you can use agave nectar or maple syrup as well)
1/2 cup plain coconut milk yogurt
1 tbs flax meal
3 tbs water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I used a little less because I made some without nuts)
special doughnut pan from Wilton.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat the doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix 1 tbs flax meal in the 3 tbs of water. This makes a "flax egg" and is used as an egg substitute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, mashed bananas, coconut nectar syrup, coconut milk yogurt, flax egg and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Fill each doughnut hole in the pan about 3/4 full. I find the best way to fill the pan is to spoon the mixture into the doughnut spot and then smooth it out with the flat part of the spoon.
- Top with walnuts pieces, and lightly press them into the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the doughnuts are golden and
spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for a
few minutes, then carefully turn out into a wire rack and cool fully.